Wednesday 14 July 2010

Breaking personal rules rarely ends well.

After a good 13km run in cooler weather on Friday night I was feeling fit, and eager to get in another run on Sunday.

Due to general laziness I didn't get up to run on Sunday morning, and due to a planned evening of karaoke with my daughters and their friends, I didn't like my chances of getting out for a run in the evening, especially after the few beers I would require in order to muster up the courage to sing.

So I did something I very, very rarely do, a mid-day run.

I have a personal rule that I don't let my hobbies of running and cycling get in the way of time with my family.  Fathers have too little time with their children as it is, and I want to make the most of every moment I can get.  As a result I run in the evenings after they've gone to bed and during marathon training I'll do my long runs early on Sunday mornings and be back before they're awake.

But Sunday afternoon while my eldest was doing her homework, and my youngest quietly playing by herself I decided I'd have time to get in one of my regular 7km routes.

The mid day heat and humidity helped to reduce my run from 7 to 5km.  But I believe a bigger factor in cutting my run short was a feeling of guilt that I was selfishly indulging myself while my daughters were waiting for me back at home, so after 5km I headed home ASAP.

Indeed, when I returned I was greeted by the two smiling faces of my daughters who couldn't wait for me to shower so we could begin some new activities together.

Never again shall I break my rule.  There is plenty of time for running in the evenings once my daughters have gone to bed.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to your story...

    Great post. Thanks for posting. I enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. having your personal rules, can really make you a better person..

    ReplyDelete